Friday, July 6, 2012

Going by so fast

So I just finished my second week of teaching and I can't believe there is only one more week left of the English Village program.  My students are what I've been looking forward to seeing everyday.  They always make me smile and make my day.  It's fun to see them write and speak more as the days go by.  I wish I could be as close to my students as my best friend Krystal is to hers.  For Krystal, her students are her children, especially two of them.  Since Krystal and I are so close, those two call me their uncle.  It really made my heart melt when they first called me that.  I can't wait to see more of my niece and nephew, they're amazing.  As for my students, I see them more as my older brothers and sisters since they really are older than me.  But since I'm their teacher, I'm waiting until the program is over before I start calling them 형(hyung) and 누 나 (nuna). 

It's been a blast helping them learn more vocabulary and talking about anything they have in mind.  My favorite lesson I've had them do every Tuesday and Thursday is watching WongFuProduction's online web series Away We Happened.  They write down as many words they recognize or have never heard of while watching and answer the two questions at the end of each episode.  It's nice to see them write down more and more words and longer and longer responses to the questions every episode.  Next week I get to watch the last two episodes for the first time with them since I stopped at episode 4 before I left for Korea.  I'm so excited to see how the series will end.  Shout out to to WongFuProductions and other Asian youtubers I've been sharing with my classes.   

Besides the usual teaching, there have been really fun events after school.  It was my friend Alex's birthday a couple of days ago and we had a nice dinner to celebrate.  He really wanted to celebrate it with his really close friends back at home in California but if you read this Alex, I hope you had a great time celebrating it here.  Another 'if you're reading this' shout out to my friend Ryan.  Sorry again for not being there for your 21st birthday but I hope you had a blast!  I'm pretty sure you're still partying it up in Vegas right now.  See you when I get back!  Oh shoot and another 'if you're reading this' shout out to another friend Zach.  Happy birthday to your dad also!  Now for some pictures.  

 Here is Mr. Birthday Boy Alex doing an aegyo

 What we had for dinner

 Birthday shots with him

Ice cream cake after dinner.  I really like this shot 

Yay group picture 

The next event I celebrated here was 4th of July.  It was weird not spending it at home, especially since it's in August for Korea but it was still fun.  There was a big group of us that went to the Han River along with some of our students that were able to make it.  We got to share about what our Independence Day is to them and how we celebrate.  For this 4th of July, we played with sparklers and ate chicken and pizza for dinner.
Preparing goodie bags for mine and Krystal's kids. 

My funny student 해 성 (HaeSung) 

Another one of my students Eric 

And another one of my students April.  I had two more students for this activity but wasn't able to get solo shots of them.   

Some of my friends I was with (Daniel, Anna and Christina)

Krystal's crazy hilarious student Beckham 

 We also went to the Han River to watch this water color show.  I really liked the music that was played in the background and the different sequences of color that was displayed with the water.  

Many more events coming up soon so stay posted.  Also check out more pictures through my facebook.  I can't wait to share some of my student's pictures as well because they look good.  Wow this post was kind of long, my bad.  Redondo out!

No comments:

Post a Comment