Friday, August 3, 2012

Some activities

Short post today.  Here are a couple more after school activities I got to do this past week.  You know from the last post that I got to play some traditional Korean instruments.  I also got to learn a Korean traditional dance but didn't get to take any pictures.  Anyway, this past week I got to make a traditional Korean fan and mask.

Here is the fan I painted.  There were four different styles of fans to choose from and I liked the way this one looked.  On the way over to the room, the first image that popped into mind was this.  I have no idea why but I liked it.  It's Pikachu in traditional Korean clothing called a hanbok, with Korean colored leaves dancing in the background, and Korean writing saying hello.  This fan style is really nice because it provides so much wind.     

Here is the mask I decorated.  There were two kinds of masks to choose from and I thought this one looked fun to design.  We used acrylic clay to paint the mask which was really cool to use.  It's little clumps of colorful clay that you place and spread on the mask and dries after an hour and a half or so.  You can also mix different clay to make a color you don't have just like paint.  The nice thing about the clay is that it is clean, unlike paint.  I feel that the texture of the clay adds more uniqueness to the mask instead of just using regular paint.  Most of us were rushed to finish because we spent a lot of time trying to think of colors to use and getting used to the clay.  Towards the end of the activity, I still had most of the top part and the mouth left to do so I just spread and mixed colors that came into mind right away to make sure I didn't have too much blank space.  Once we finished with the clay, the supervisors stapled black fabric on the sides of the mask.  In the end, I am satisfied with how it turned out.  

One more week left here in Korea and it is going to be a packed busy week.  Stay tuned.  Redondo out!


No comments:

Post a Comment